Saturday, July 2, 2011

We're smiling but we're close to tears. . . .


"but love will hold us together. . . ."

i believe in love. And I believe that no matter how "bad" it might get, that peace is always possible. I'm not naive. I have had my share of heart break, tragedy, and loss. I know the world is suffering. I'm face to face with it daily. Yet, there is something inside, something deep within me, that just knows that this too shall pass.

i believe in what i pray for. i believe in love, and i believe in peace. and i believe that humanity is not as cruel as this world is painting it to be. i think maybe, humanity is tired. i think we've been battling one another for so long, that we're exhausted. i think one day the fighting will stop. . . the world will be at peace, we just haven't learned what mother theresa used to say, "if we have no peace, its because we have forgotten, that we belong to one another."

that's how I'm trying to live my life. trying, but failing miserably.




". . . .make us a shelter to weather the storm. . . ."

i can't help but think about my brothers and sisters in Darfur, Sudan. I don't know how it happened, really, but i carry them in my heart. sometimes i feel like i hear their cries drifting across the ocean. i feel like somehow i know their whispered prayers. i feel connected to them in a very real way. i love them. is that crazy? i really feel like it is my brother or sister over there suffering. and you know what? they want nothing more than peace.

"It is very kind of the people in your country to send us the food, but this is Africa and we are used to being hungry. What I ask is that you please take the guns away from the people who are killing us." ~Aisha, age 16, Darfur



i get it. i understand that most of the world has no idea what is going on over there. most of us are so consumed in our own suffering and trying to make it through our own trials, to really pay attention to what is going on in the rest of the world. especially in africa. but try.

i believe they will see peace one day. i really do.






No comments:

Post a Comment